Muffins are one of the tastiest and simplest baked goods that you can let yourself get creative with. Whenever I make myself a good batch of muffins I find that the most delicious part is the top. As summer slowly changes into fall and the temperature gently drops, I seem to find myself in the kitchen more often. With it being fall and all, I decided to explore cooking with pumpkin! I found a great little recipe for pumpkin cookies but decided to adapt it to make muffin tops.
This recipe creates moist, extremely fluffy muffin tops with the distinct flavor of pumpkin and cinnamon. These delicious treats are simple and easy to make, with their distinct fall flavors and sweet glaze.
Pumpkin Muffin Tops
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking power
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Crushed walnuts (optional, but delicious)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter
– Preheat the oven to 350.
– In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars together until creamy.
– Stir pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla into mixture until well incorporated.
– In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt). Slowly stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until blended (if you decide to use walnuts, add them right at the end).
– Drop tablespoon portions of muffin top mixture onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
– Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let these bad boys cool on a metal rack while you prepare the sweet glaze.
– GLAZE: Melt the butter then add milk, vanilla and confectioner’s sugar. Stir until well blended then drizzle over the delicious, festive muffin tops. ENJOY!