One of my very favourite salads contains only three delicious ingredients: the caprese salad. It is so simple and fast to whip up but packs a big punch of flavour. About a year back I discovered a way to prepare and present this salad in a classy manner to my friends. Let me say this, they loved the presentation (and also the flavours) so if you’re looking to impress your guests with a light and healthy appetizer, then this flavourful salad is going to knock their socks off! It is quick to prepare, very colourful, and gives your palate a tasty treat.
– Large, firm Italian tomatoes
– One container of buffalo mozzarella cheese
– Handful of basil leaves
– 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
– 2 tbsp of olive oil
– Salt and pepper
1. Begin by washing basil leaves and set aside.
2. Wash the tomatoes and removing the top bit (where the stem is located).
3. This is the tricky part. Place the tomato on the cutting board so that it is lying on it’s side. Slowly slice into the tomato along the slim side, cutting every 5cm, but be careful not to cut all the way through. You want the tomato to hold together.
4. Drain the buffalo mozzarella and slice into thin rounds.
5. Place your tomato on your serving dish to begin assembly. Carefully insert a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf into each of the cuts on the tomato. Drizzle some olive oil and balsamic over top and season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy your stunning, healthy, and delicious appetizer!